I recently received my May/June 2015 issue of Outreach Magazine. I always pour over each issue — amazed at the difference being made across the country by people just like you and me.
The stories tell of people who care about those around them. They want to impact others — even when they live, love and look differently. Two thoughts come to mind:
“We’ve got to intentionally build spaces that are not our spaces, so we come in contact with one another in human kinds of ways. When we do so, we discover we’re not that different at all.” – Thabiti Anyabwile
“As the Father has sent me, so send I you.” – John 20:21
Doing something for others and putting others first are what we should be about. Serving others, loving our neighbors and giving generously of ourselves should be our priorities. We are truly a selfish society, generally caring for our own needs before considering the greater needs around us.
I am not saying that we shouldn’t care for our families or those closest to us; however, we can’t just stop there. Human beings innately focus on themselves and those closest to themselves. And I am as guilty of this as anyone else. But…God has a better plan for that propensity to care for ourselves first. He tells us to give ourselves away to impact others.
We compiled a list of ways to give yourself away to impact others that will cost you nothing (other than your time and maybe a little money)
9 Ways to Give Yourself Away to Impact Others
- Go to a local elementary school and volunteer to read to children.
- If you have a specific talent, offer to help in a local school or senior center.
- Offer to help in a local school or senior center even if you don’t have a specific talent!
- Bring a meal to someone who is ill.
- Offer to take a senior citizen to a doctor’s appointment or the grocery store. (You can do that with someone who is chronically ill as well.)
- Regularly visit someone who isn’t able to get out on their own.
- Consistently pray for those you know need a touch from God.
- Ask your church if there is someone who may need help from time to time.
- Reach out to single mothers and learn about what they need.
We are salt and light. Go out, impact others and make a difference for Christ.